In order to deliver the ESCAPE-pain classes, professionals are required to attend the ESCAPE-pain training course. All attendees receive full access to implementation resources such as exercise sheets, presentation slides and marketing templates.
The flexibility of ESCAPE-pain means it can be delivered in a variety of locations and by a variety of health professionals. ESCAPE-pain has been successfully delivered in outpatient physiotherapy departments, leisure centres and local community settings by physiotherapists and exercise professionals.
We have developed two training packages - a one-day course for clinicians and a two-day course for fitness instructors.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
for our Implementation Toolkit
or find out more about implementing ESCAPE-pain in your organisation. If you've registered on this website, you will receive email notifications of upcoming training courses.
This one-day training course covers:
- The theoretical foundations and evidence-based for ESCAPE-pain (including its clinical and cost effectiveness)
- The practical skills required to support behaviour change in people to self-manage their OA through developing enhanced motivational interviewing, goal setting, helping people develop action and coping plans, and group facilitation techniques
- How to set-up and deliver ESCAPE-pain (including optimising referrals, uptake and retention and how to run each session of the programme)
- Guidance on how to develop and adapt ESCAPE-pain to work within different settings
Basic clinical knowledge of osteoarthritis and its management are required, including familiarity with delivering education and exercise to patients. Along with at least 2 years post graduate experience.
Fitness instructors' training
This two-day training course covers:
- Overview of MSK, physical activity and osteoarthritis
- National Policy and overview of ESCAPE-pain, including ESCAPE-pain in the community
- Understanding the psychology of pain
- Principles of self-management, motivational interviewing, health behaviour change and group facilitation
- Group exercise management
- Healthy eating guidance
- Methods of managing pain
- Sustaining physical activity and other health behaviours.
We currently deliver training for fitness instructors in partnership with leisure sector providers. Please email us at email@example.com for more information.