The ESCAPE-pain app is a free resource produced in the NHS by the Health Innovation Network and Salaso Solutions Ltd. It is available on Android smartphones, and tablets. It complements the well-established face-to-face programme that, prior to lockdown, was being delivered in over 290 sites across the United Kingdom.
The ESCAPE-pain app is intended to be used as a support tool for people who have already attended the face-to-face programme and serves as an aide memoir to enable participants to continue to exercise safely in their homes afterwards. The app also helps people access the programme if they are unable to attend a class or don't have a class nearby.
Our app is ORCHA approved. ORCHA is the trusted source for health app advice. It helps consumers and NHS Professionals to find safe, secure and clinically assured apps. It's conducted a review of our app, looking at 260 criteria, and we achieved a score of 73%.
The app contains:
- Exercise videos: simple and easy to follow exercise videos with clear instructions. They have been developed to show people how to do exercises safely in their own homes
- Educational videos: engaging animations that give simple advice and information to help people learn about how to better manage their condition
- Individual progress chart: to track progress and exercise completion to see improvements over time.
Please note: The ESCAPE-pain app is a support tool, provided for reference only. It is therefore not to be used as the sole basis for treatment, prescription and care of your condition and health. It should be used in conjunction with the advice and professional judgment of your GP or other healthcare practitioner.
To download, search for 'escape pain' on Google Play.
Some tips on using the app:
- The programme is structured as two sessions per week, over six consecutive weeks. It works best when you complete the first two sessions within the first seven days (week 1) of creating your account. You can only progress to week 2 when a full week has passed since you created your account. For example if you set up your account on a Monday at 3pm, the next Monday at 3pm is when your second week would begin. You can't go back a week or forward a week until the seven days has passed.
- Each session has an education video and a variety of exercises you can do at home. Each exercise has a video with written and spoken instructions. Each video also has a timer and you can enter in the number of repetitions you've completed.
- Only register your account when you are ready to start the programme as the clock starts ticking for week 1.
- Complete the pre-questionnaires in full before logging out as the system might ask you to do them again the next time you log in.
Page last reviewed: 29 January 2021. Page last updated: 29 January 2021. Next review date: April 2021