ESCAPE-pain facilitator training (for backs)
Due to covid-19 & social distancing measures, scheduled face-to-face training courses have been suspended and virtual training courses are being offered during this time.
The virtual training enables facilitators to deliver face-to-face ESCAPE-pain classes when social distancing measures have been lifted. The training does not enable facilitators to deliver virtual classes. Some sites are trialling virtual approaches to deliver the programme to participants while social distancing measures are in place. These are temporary measures being delivered by established sites, while the face-to-face programme cannot be safely delivered, or until the approach has been evaluated as appropriate for longer term use by the ESCAPE-pain team. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
About the training course
In order to deliver ESCAPE-pain for backs, professionals are required to attend the ESCAPE-pain facilitator training course. The training is open to clinicians and exercise instructors who meet the pre-qualification criteria.
If facilitators have already completed the training course for ESCAPE-pain (knee/hip pain) they are eligible to attend a half-day training course for ESCAPE-pain for backs. All other participants must attend the full-day course.
The training will cover the below areas:
- Overview of ESCAPE-pain
- The fundamentals of non-specific low back pain (scale of problem and how to manage it)
- NICE guidelines for low back pain
- Understanding the psychology of pain
- Overview of principles of self-management, motivational interviewing, health behaviour change and group facilitation
- ESCAPE-pain for backs structure (core components of programme and 12 educational sessions)
- How to set-up and deliver ESCAPE-pain (including optimising referrals, uptake and retention and how to run each session of the programme)
- Data collection and reporting
- Sustaining physical activity and other health behaviours
After completing the training course, facilitators will receive the following resources and support:
- Training Manual (for facilitators)
- Participant booklet (participant handout)
- Exercise sheets (participant handout)
- PowerPoint slides: to deliver the education component
- Marketing templates
- Ongoing implementation advice & support and annual data analysis
ESCAPE-pain for backs training fees and schedule:
|Full day course||Half day course|
Facilitators from existing sites (sites delivering either ESCAPE-pain programme)
Facilitators from new sites (i.e. sites not delivering either ESCAPE-pain programme)
|Available only to facilitators who have completed ESCAPE-pain training (for knees/hips)|
Public sector/not for profit organisations in the UK
(£200 for facilitator training delivered virtually)
(£300 for facilitator training delivered virtually)
Commercial organisations (worldwide) and not for profit organisations outside of the UK
Facilitator training course dates
|Month||Date||Course type||Location||Registration process|
|16||Full day||Delivered virtually*||
1. Download this registration form (payment options are outlined within form)
2. Attach the completed form to an email along with your relevant qualifications requested within the application
3. Include the name / course date you are applying for in the subject line
4. Send the email to email@example.com
||18||Half day||Delivered virtually*|
|25||Full day||Delivered virtually*|
|22||Half day||Delivered virtually*|
|26||Full day||Delivered virtually*|
|DECEMBER 2021||13||Full day||Delivered virtually*|
*The courses are typically delivered in person, however we are delivering them virtually while social distancing measures are still in place. Some of the ticket prices differ slightly for facilitator training delivered virtually (as shown above).
If you should have any questions regarding the course in general or your eligibility to attend, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Page last reviewed: 27 August 2021. Page last updated: 27 August 2021. Next review date: October 2021