Awards and Endorsements
ESCAPE-pain offers two programmes:
- ESCAPE-pain for knees and hips: designed to benefit people with chronic knee or hip pain, otherwise known as osteoarthritis.
- ESCAPE-pain for backs: designed to benefit people with chronic low back pain
Please note all the endorsements, support, awards, citations and accreditations below relate to the ESCAPE-pain programme for knees and hips. Where any new posts relate to the recently launched ESCAPE-pain for backs programme we will make this clear.
- September 2020: ESCAPE-pain programme awarded 'MSK Care Initiative of the Year' at the HSJ Value Awards 2020.
- August 2020: The ESCAPE-pain programme for knees and hips included in a respositary of interventions, Online Osteoarthritis Management Programmes, identified by the Joint Effort Initiative Implementation Group (endorsed by Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI)) as a response to the covid-19 situation. The repository provides stakeholders and organisations with access to online, evidence based, international OA management programmes (OAMPs). The repository provides solutions for healthcare professionals seeking to access and signpost patients with OA to remote, high-quality programmes that do not require face to face contact. It also provides healthcare practitioner resources for online training in delivering OA management programmes.
- April 2020: The ESCAPE-pain programme for knees and hips is referenced in the newly published Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) resources to support people self-managing their musculoskeletal conditions. These resources are supported by NHS England and NHS Improvement as part of the MSK leadership group which also includes the British Orthopaedic Association (BOA), the British Society for Rheumatology (BSR), the CSP, Versus Arthritis and the Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Alliance (ARMA).
- April 2020: Read our ESCAPE-pain programme for knees and hips article 'Scaling-up an evidence-based intervention for osteoarthritis in real-world settings: a pragmatic evaluation using the RE-AIM framework' published in Implementation Science Communications.
- March 2020: The ESCAPE-pain programme for knees and hips has been shortlisted for the 2020 Health Service Journal (HSJ) Value Award in the Clinical and Medical Services category of ‘MSK Care Initiative of the Year’.
Endorsements & support
- NHS England:
- Public Health England:
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP)
- ESCAPE-pain is referenced in the newly published resources to support people self-managing their musculoskeletal conditions. These resources are supported by NHS England and NHS Improvement as part of the MSK leadership group which also includes the British Orthopaedic Association (BOA), the British Society for Rheumatology (BSR), the CSP, Versus Arthritis and the Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Alliance (ARMA). (April 2020)
- NHS Innovation Accelerator (NIA):
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR):
- Featured in the NIHR Dissemination Centre's themed review of musculoskeletal recommendations. 'Moving Forward' highlights the importance of physiotherapy in improving and reducing the negative effects associated with musculoskeletal conditions. ESCAPE-pain has been commended for its improvement of patient-care and its encouragement of self-care. (July 2018)
- Versus Arthritis:
- Academic Health Science Network (AHSN):
- Featured in the AHSN Network impact report 2018/19. (June 2019)
- Read the ESCAPE-pain case study in the AHSN Network magazine - The Innovators. The magazine draws together insights and learning on how healthcare innovation is transforming lives. (June 2019)
- Endorsed by the AHSN Network. Identified as one of seven programmes developed regionally and selected for national adoption and spread across the network during 2018-2020. (March 2018)
- NHS RightCare:
- Featured within the NHS RightCare Commissioning for Value: Long term conditions pack. (December 2016)
- British Orthopaedic Association (BOA):
Awards & shortlistings
- Health Service Journal (HSJ)
- The ESCAPE-pain programme has been shortlisted for the 2020 HSJ Value Award in the Clinical and Medical Services category of ‘MSK Care Initiative of the Year’. (March 2020)
- Active Training Awards
- The ESCAPE-pain Facilitator Training Programme won the 'Specialist Training Programme of the Year 2019' award at the Active Training Awards & Conference held in Birmingham in November 2018. (November 2018)
- Clinical Director, Professor Mike Hurley, was shortlisted for a UK Active award for 'Outstanding Individual of the Year'. (November 2018)
- NHS Innovation Accelerator:
- Clinical Director, Professor Mike Hurley, was awarded a Fellowship joining the prestigious 2017 NHS Innovation Accelerator to increase national spread of the ESCAPE-pain programme. The fellowship will last one year and is supported by a host of industry and healthcare professionals. (December 2017).
- British Society for Rheumatology:
- Royal Society of Public Health:
- AbbVie Sustainable Healthcare:
- Finalist for the AbbVie Sustainable Healthcare: Patients as Partners Award (2016)
- Sport England:
- Awarded a Sport England grant to tackle inactivity in inactive people over 55 during 2018-2020. (2017)
- Harvard Business School
- Semi-Finalist Harvard Business School Acceleration Challenge (2016)
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
- UK Active:
- NHS RightCare:
- Featured in the NHS RightCare North Region Musculoskeletal Collaborative Programme delivery pack. This is being rolled out via their Delivery Partner network. If you would like to access a copy please contact the team via email. (August 2018)
- Richmond Group:
- Quality Innovation Productivity and Prevention (QIPP):
- British Journal of General Practice:
- Cited in a British Journal of General Practice editorial titled 'Reducing arthritis pain through physical activity: a new public health, tiered approach'. (October 2017)
- Innovation Exchange:
- Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMPSPA):
- The ESCAPE-pain faciltator training programme is accredited by the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity and now forms part of their Skills Development Partner network. (2018). This course is on the CIMSPA portal, if you are a member of CIMSPA at the time of completing the course, you can claim your 8 CPD points by logging into the portal and submitting your certificate of attendance.
- Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs):
- The ESCAPE-pain facilitator training programme is recognised by the REPs and endorsed by PD:Approval. The course is now on the REPs portal, if you are a member of REPs at the time of completing the course, you can claim your 7 CPD points by logging into the portal. (2018)
Page last reviewed: 19 November 2020. Page last updated: 19 November 2020. Next review date: January 2021