ESCAPE-pain is a rehabilitation programme for people with chronic joint pain of the knees and/or hips, that integrates educational self-management and coping strategies with an exercise regimen individualised for each participant. It helps people understand their condition, teaches them simple things they can help themselves with, and takes them through a progressive exercise programme so they learn how to cope with pain better.
Robust evaluation shows that ESCAPE-pain:
- Reduces pain
- Improves physical function
- Improves the psychosocial consequences of pain
- Reduces healthcare and utilisation costs.
ESCAPE-pain class locations
ESCAPE-pain is currently running in over 270 sites. Classes are being delivered in a variety of locations from hospital physiotherapy departments to leisure centres and gyms, from church halls to community centres. We update this map fortnightly so if you can't find a site near you today keep checking here for updates or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Each icon on the map represents one site:
- A green icon means the site is ACTIVE
- A blue icon means the site is STARTING SOON - the planned start date is listed if we know this too.
Click on the icon to find the site details including name, address, postcode and how you can join the programme. Remember that each site will have it’s own process of how you can join their classes so we always recommend contacting the site directly to find out more about how you can join.
For full guidance on how best to use the map please see here.
Remember to use the #LiveBetterDoMore hashtag when tweeting or sharing any participant feedback. We'd love to hear more from you so if you have any personal stories to share and would like to tell us about your experience of the ESCAPE-pain programme or app email us at: email@example.com.
- Quicklink: Access your ESCAPE-pain Online account - the web-based version of the ESCAPE-pain app
If you have any comments or feedback please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Videos and Case Studies
ESCAPE-pain facilitators in East Riding were delighted to receive this letter of thanks from Marian who had recently completed the programme and made fantastic improvements.
Harrogate arthritis sufferer hails 'active' scheme - ESCAPE-pain participant Jill Quinn talks to Stray FM about her experience of the programme and how it has turned her life around. LISTEN NOW.
Chris was diagnosed with arthritis in his hip. Hear him talk about his journey through the ESCAPE-pain programme run by Wiltshire Health and Care.
Regina and Gillian took control of their joint pain, learnt to self-manage their condition, and returned to more physically active lives after completing the ESCAPE-pain programme.
For more videos and case studies visit our Personal Stories page.
- 14 January 2020: Pain management programme expands in Portsmouth - read how the ESCAPE-pain programme is being made available to help even more people thanks to a positive response from local residents who have already benefitted from it.
- 29 December 2019: ESCAPE-pain featured as an article in the Worcester News, 'Beat the January blues with new exercise class'.
- 26 December 2019: ESCAPE-pain featured in the Redditch Standard, 'New classes for people with arthritis to launch in Redditch'.
- 22 December 2019: ESCAPE-pain featured as an article in the Bromsgrove Advertiser, 'Help for osteoarthritis sufferers in Bromsgrove'.
- 12 December 2019: ESCAPE-pain article 'A programme to empower people to manage their musculoskeletal conditions has expanded to Carnforth' featured on the University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust website.
Contact us by email at email@example.com for more information.
Webpage last reviewed: 16 January 2020
Webpage last updated: 16 January 2020