The ESCAPE-pain programme is a 6 week (12 session) rehabilitation programme for people with chronic joint pain, that integrates educational self-management and coping strategies with an exercise regimen individualised for each participant. It helps people understand their condition, teaches them simple things they can help themselves with, and takes them through a progressive exercise programme so they learn how to cope with pain better.
ESCAPE-pain facilitator training
for knee, hip and back pain
- ESCAPE-pain for knees and hips
- ESCAPE-pain for backs
The two programmes compliment each other, and are taught together within a 1.5 day facilitator training course, however, they are two separate programmes, with their own participant eligibility criteria and session content.
The flexibility of ESCAPE-pain means it can be delivered in a variety of locations and by a range of professionals. The programmes have been successfully delivered in outpatient physiotherapy departments, leisure centres and local community settings by physiotherapists, osteopaths and exercise professionals.
About the facilitator training course
The ESCAPE-pain facilitator training consists of a 1.5 day course, covering ESCAPE-pain for hips, knees and backs.
In order to attend either training course, providers will need to demonstrate they meet the pre-requisites to attend facilitator training. Eligibility criteria for both training courses are outlined below.
- Basic clinical knowledge of osteoarthritis and its management are required, including familiarity with delivering education and exercise to patients.
- Level 2/3 gym instructor/ personal trainer or equivalent (demonstrating underpinning anatomy and physiology knowledge).
- Level 3 exercise referral OR a level 4 qualification.
- At least 150 hours previous experience of working with specialist populations (e.g. exercise referral, cardiac, back care, falls etc.)
All three points must be met in order to attend training. View this decision flow chart tool to help determine exercise professional eligibility to attend training.
Please note: ESCAPE-pain does not have a train the trainer model. By attending ESCAPE-pain training you will be able to deliver the programmes, however, you will NOT be able to train others to deliver it. If you should have any questions regarding the course in general or you eligibility to attend please email us at email@example.com.
The full day training covers:
- The theoretical foundations and evidence-base for ESCAPE-pain (including its clinical and cost effectiveness).
- The practical skills required to support behaviour change in people to self-manage their OA through developing enhanced motivational interviewing, goal setting, helping people develop action and coping plans, and group facilitation techniques.
- How to set-up and deliver ESCAPE-pain (including optimising referrals, uptake and retention and how to run each session of the programme).
- Guidance on how to develop and adapt ESCAPE-pain to work within different settings.
- National Policy and overview of ESCAPE-pain, including ESCAPE-pain in the community.
- Overview of MSK, physical activity and osteoarthritis.
- Understanding the psychology of pain.
- Principles of self-management, motivational interviewing, health behaviour change and group facilitation.
- Group exercise management.
- Healthy eating guidance.
- Methods of managing pain.
- Sustaining physical activity and other health behaviours.
The ESCAPE-pain for knee, hip and back training is accredited by the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA).
Trained ESCAPE-pain facilitators that are members of this professional body are eligible for 10 CPD points.
After completing the training course, facilitators will receive the following resources and support:
- Training Manual (for facilitators)
- Participant booklet (participant handout)
- Exercise sheets (participant handout)
- PowerPoint slides: to deliver the education component
- Marketing templates
- Ongoing implementation advice and support and annual data analysis (if data is returned quarterly to ESCAPE-pain)
ESCAPE-pain facilitator training - pricing structure
Clinicians and Exercise professionals from existing sites (sites delivering either ESCAPE-pain programme: for knees/hips and/or for backs).
Clinicians and Exercise professionals from new sites (i.e. sites not delivering either ESCAPE-pain programme: for knees/hips and/or for backs).
Register to attend training
Facilitator training course dates
|Month||Dates||Course timing||Location||Course availability||Registration links|
|MARCH 2023||21 and 22||
|Delivered virtually*||Places available||21/03/23 – 22/03/23 registration link|
|APRIL 2023||18 and 19||
|Delivered virtually*||Places available||18/04/23 – 19/04/23 registration link|
|MAY 2023||16 and 17||
|Delivered virtually*||Places available||16/05/23 – 1705/23 registration link|
|JUNE 2023||20 and 21||
|Delivered virtually*||Places available||20/06/23 – 21/06/23 registration link|
|JULY 2023||04 and 05||
|Delivered virtually*||Places available||04/07/23 – 05/07/23 registration link|
|AUGUST 2023||15 and 16||
|Delivered virtually*||Places available||15/08/23 – 16/08/23 registration link|
|SEPTEMBER 2023||19 and 20||
|Delivered virtually*||Places available||19/09/23 – 20/09/23 registration link|
|OCTOBER 2023||17 and 18||
|Delivered virtually*||Places available||17/10/23 – 18/10/23 registration link|
|NOVEMBER 2023||21 and 22||
|Delivered virtually*||Places available||21/11/23 – 22/11/23 registration link|
|DECEMBER 2023||12 and 13||
|Delivered virtually*||Places available||12/12/23 – 13/12/23 registration link|
Although the hip/knee and back training courses have been combined into a 1.5 day course, facilitators should continue to deliver the two programmes separately.
If you would like to deliver the two programmes together (including participants with hip and knee and back pain) please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
ESCAPE-pain training: facilitator feedback
Over 2,000 facilitators have been trained to deliver the ESCAPE-pain programmes, demonstrating a strong commitment to increasing access to the ESAPE-pain programme for participants across the UK. Watch the videos below, to see what facilitators have said about the programme: